U.S. House of Representatives Set to Vote Today
World One Law Group has contacted members of the U.S. House of Representatives, urging them to oppose Speaker Ryan's “Border Security and Immigration Reform Act of 2018” and Representative Goodlatte's “Securing America's Future Act of 2018” (H.R. 4760). Both bills hold Dreamers hostage in return for provisions that would upend our immigration system and betray our values.
Speaker Ryan's “Border Security and Immigration Reform Act of 2018” pairs Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) provisions with severe cuts to legal immigration, policies that undermine vital protections for vulnerable populations, and dramatic increases in funding for immigration enforcement. Among other provisions, the current bill would:
- Drastically reduce legal immigration by eliminating several family-based immigration categories and eliminating the diversity visa program.
- Undermine protections for vulnerable populations, including raising the credible fear standard for asylum seekers and eliminating certain TVPRA protections, sending children more quickly back to the countries from which they fled.
- Does NOT address the family separation crisis, which can be stopped right now by this Administration. Instead, the bill would jail children and their families for long periods of time.
- Balloon funding for enforcement, including additional Border Patrol agents, a $25 billion appropriation for the border wall, and funding to keep children and families in jail.
- Does NOT adequately protect Dreamers. The bill provides for contingent nonimmigrant status and creates a “point system” that would leave many Dreamers without protection.
Representative Goodlatte's “Securing America's Future Act of 2018”( H.R. 4760) is an anti-immigrant wish list that slashes legal immigration to untenably low levels, mandates unnecessary and harsh enforcement tactics, creates millions of criminals out of thin air by making unlawful presence a crime, and seems focused on excluding the largest number of Dreamers from the very few weak protections it claims to provide. Among other provisions, the bill would:
- Eviscerate legal immigration by gutting the family-based immigration system and eliminating the diversity visa program.
- Make employment verification mandatory for all employers.
- Criminalize unlawful presence, creating millions of criminals out of thin air.
- Mandate long-term detention of nearly everyone in removal proceedings despite due process, capacity, and cost prohibitions.
- Undermine access to asylum for individuals who have been persecuted abroad, including heightening the credible fear standard.
- Eliminate safeguards for vulnerable children by amending the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008 (TVPRA).
- Require a massive buildup of immigration enforcement, including construction of a wall, hiring of additional CBP, and waiving crucial polygraph requirements.
- NOT adequately protect Dreamers. As written, the bill provides only a contingent nonimmigrant status to eligible applicants for renewable three-year periods, excludes anyone who does not have valid DACA on the date of enactment, and imposes punitive eligibility requirements.
World One will continue to fight to protect the rights of all who seek to make a new life in the United States. If you think you may need immigration help, please contact our office at (425) 250-8110, or by email at [email protected].